Every professional industry comes with its own set of rules for appropriate interview and wear-to-work attire. This month, we’ve shared our tips on what to wear to an interview in Finance, Marketing, Legal, PR, Creative, and Education – but there are some rules that apply to any job.
1. Understand the importance of well-fitting clothes. Whether its a pair of wide-leg trousers and printed sweater or a wrap dress – make sure it is not too baggy or too snug. If it doesn’t work with your body type, it will distract your interviewer.
2. Feel comfortable, powerful, and most importantly – feel like yourself. Your interview style is your chance to show your personality – so choose pieces that reflect you and make you feel good!
3. Wear makeup. That doesn’t mean you need to have a smoky eye and bordeaux lip stain – but cover up those under eye circles, make your eyes stand out with a light black liner and neutral shadow, and wake up your skin with a bit of blush or bronzer. Wearing makeup is important for a polished, professional look.
4. Change up your look with accessories. You can change up your look again and again with the right accessories. Make a basic black sheath look completely different every day of the week by pairing it with different shoes, handbag, scarf, and statement jewelry.
5. Wear clean, polished shoes. You don’t need to spend a fortune on designer heels, but make sure they are well-kept. Living in a big city, we know what a cold season can do to your favorite pair of black boots. If the sole is worn down or leather is getting dull or scratched – take them to your local shoe repair.