Being based here in NYC, we know the PR dress code well – one part trendy, one part classic, and one part comfortable. Dressing for a career in public relations means keeping up with those of-the-moment trends while still making it your own – and being able to take your look from early morning meetings, to events around the city to evening cocktails. When interviewing for a PR job – first impressions count. Here are our tips on what to wear to an interview for a public relations career.
1. Incorporate current trends. Including at least one fashion-forward piece shows that you are aware of what’s trending now – an important aspect of a public relations career. Don’t be afraid to wear mixed prints or peplums.
2. Wear comfortable shoes. When you’re dashing around the city from lunch meetings with editors to evening events – the last thing you need is a pair of high heels. While its easy to be tempted to polish of your look with those gorgeous 5-inch platforms – they are better saved for the weekends. Opt instead for a low pair of pointy-toe heels to keep you looking chic without the pain.
3. Wear a sharp jacket. There is nothing to polish off your interview look like a structured jacket. For a PR interview, particularly in the fashion industry, we love an asymmetrical tweed jacket or even a moto style paired with a feminine pencil skirt or cropped pants.
4. Accessorize. Interviewing for a Public Relations career is one time that you shouldn’t be scared of a statement necklace or a stack of colorful bangles. PR is all about personality – use your accessories to show yours!
5. Keep your makeup clean and simple. Save the hot pink lipstick or bold eye makeup for a time when you’re more familiar with your office environment. There will be plenty of time to show off your nail polish skills once you get hired!