This past month, we’ve gotten to know the team over at Birchbox through our partnership for the launch of our Fall Footwear Boutique. One of the lovely ladies we had the opportunity to work with was their summer intern, Tess, who’s currently in Harvard’s MBA program. We asked her to tell us a little bit about her experience interning with the beauty company and her best advice for how to get the most out of your summer internship.
Where did you intern this summer, and what was your position?
I spent my summer interning at Birchbox, a discovery commerce platform for beauty, grooming and lifestyle products. I worked on the Business Development team which is focused on exciting new non-beauty partnerships and was lucky enough to spend most of my summer working on the Ann Taylor/Birchbox partnership!
What are your five best pieces of advice for summer interns based on your experience?
1. Take the time to be thoughtful about what you want to learn and gain from your summer. Work with your supervisor to communicate these goals and carve out the right role/responsibilities.
2. Be curious and don’t be afraid to ask (good) questions. It’s a unique opportunity to really learn about the company, industry, and different groups/functions.
3. Go the extra step beyond what you’re directly asked to do. Be proactive, take ownership for your work, and ask how you can help others.
4. Don’t treat the internship as pure “work.” The summer is a professional opportunity but also a personal one to meet amazing new people and friends. Introduce yourself, spend time with colleagues outside of the office, and take the time to grab lunch or coffee away from your desk.
5. Be excited! A positive attitude always goes a long way!
What’s your “power piece”- the one item in your closet you can’t live without?
Simple and classic peep-toe black pumps. Adding heels to any outfit instantly makes me feel more put together, polished & professional!