When it comes to how to dress for an interview, there are a few tried-and-true rules that ensure a polished and put together ensemble. We all know the basics — arrive early, do your research — but an impeccable first impression can make the difference between any average candidate and an unforgettable one.
1. Know the company dress code. A tech startup and PR agency have completely different company cultures; and accordingly, very different appropriate attire. There’s no better way to show that you are the perfect fit for a company by understanding their dress code.
2. Dress for the job you want. Where do you envision yourself in five years? If you want to be the boss, dress like it. Aspiring upwards with your interview outfit shows confidence and drive.
3. Keep accessories simple. Don’t get us wrong, we love a good statement necklace; but when it comes to dressing for an interview, it’s best to stick to the classics. A simple gold bangle or delicate necklace makes the perfect finishing touch, without drawing focus.
4. Carry a chic tote. Our pick is a timeless Gallery Tote; effortlessly professional and roomy enough for a few extra resumes (a must!) and any other necessities for the day.
5. Get your foot in the door with a great pair of heels. Wear shoes that give you confidence — but make sure to be comfortable! There’s nothing worse than tiptoeing through an interview in impractical shoes. A go-to pair of pointy pumps in a rich jewel tone will not disappoint!