Cook up the perfect Holiday with Ann’s guide on what to wear and what to bring to your special gatherings…
DINNER WITH HIS FAMILY
If you made it past the Turkey Drop, get ready to meet his parents. For a successful first impression, simplicity is the key. Go back to basics with a little black dress and a classic gingerbread cookie recipe. Add some key glam accessories and you’ll look as sweet as your cookies taste.
Get the Look
Get the Gingerbread Recipe (source: simplyrecipes.com)
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup dark-brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses, unsulfured
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 3/4 cup sugar, powdered
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and spices.
- In an electric mixer, cream the butter. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Mix in the eggs and molasses. Gradually add the flour mixture and combine on low speed. Divide dough in thirds, wrapping each third in plastic. Chill for at least 1 hour or overnight. Sit dough at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before rolling out.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place the dough on wax paper and use a rolling pin to roll the dough 1/8 inch thick. Refrigerate again for 5-10 minutes to make it easier to cut out the cookies. Using a cookie cutter or stencil, cut cookies into desired shapes.
- Transfer dough to baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until crisp. Let sit a few minutes, then decorate as desired.
- Mix egg whites and lemon juice with 1/3 powdered sugar in a microwave until 160 degrees.
- Beat in the remaining powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
THE FAMILY REUNION
Arrive home for the Holidays in style! Spruce up your Holiday look with vibrant color and subtle details that pop. Complement your fashion with a timeless dish cooked with popular ingredients.
Get the Look
- Sheer Dot Peplum Top
- Bow Pant
- Pearlized Marquis Crystal Stud Earrings
- Harrington Satin Jewel Smoking Loafers
Get the Asparagus Quiche Recipe (source: twopeasandtheirpod.com)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
4 green onions, chopped
1 9-inch pie crust
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with pie dough and stick in freezer during prep.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook asparagus spears and spinach until tender and wilted.
- Whisk eggs and milk. Stir in the cheeses and salt and pepper.
- Remove pie crust from freezer. Place vegetables on the bottom of the crust. Pour the egg and cheese mixture over the vegetables and into the crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
POTLUCK WITH FRIENDS
Fully embody the warmth of winter in some warm neutral tones, then turn your Holiday potluck into a Holiday soiree with deliciously spiked egg nog.
Get the Look
- Tipped Merino Sweater
- Modern Velvet Slim Pant
- Wendi Colorblocked Pointy Toe Flats
- Brilliant Cluster Pendant Necklace
Get the Egg Nog Recipe (source: food.com)
INGREDIENTS (12-16 servings)
- 6 large eggs, plus 2 yolks
- 1/2 cup &2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup brandy, bourbon, or dark rum
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
- Additional nutmeg for garnish
- Whisk together eggs, yolks, sugar, and salt. While whisking, pour milk in slowly.
- Turn on burner to lowest possible heat setting. Place pan on burner and stir mixture continuously until it reaches 160 degrees.
- Wait 25- 30 minutes, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain mixture into a large bowl to remove any small cooked bits.
- Add brandy, bourbon, or dark rum, plus vanilla extract and nutmeg.
- Stir to combine. Pour into glass pitcher. Refrigerate mixture to chill at least 4 hours or up to 3 days before finishing.
- When mixture is ready, pour heavy cream into a bowl and whip until it forms soft peaks. Fold whipped cream into cold custard mixture until combined.
- Serve in chilled cups or glasses and garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg.