Building a wardrobe for how to dress for an interview is all about versatility. By creating a collection of essentials that work well together, we can mix and match our favorite pieces at a moment’s notice (we’re all too familiar with scrambling to find the right pair of pumps for a last minute interview!) Here’s our list of must-haves to create a closet full of interview looks.
1. Slim cropped pants: a go-to pair of trousers are a key component of any interview wardrobe. We always love a classic black pair, but if you want to go for something a little more bold, try a textured or patterned pair, which can be styled with a basic blouse or mixed with a striped button down.
2. Carryall tote: one surefire way to make a bad impression in your first interview is to hand someone a crumpled resume. Invest in an oversized structured leather tote that’s big enough to hold a folder with a few extra resumes along with any beauty touch ups you may need.
3. Pencil Skirt: a must have for a working woman is a pencil skirt that perfectly fits your body type. Show off your knowledge of current trends by opting for a skirt accentuated by a leather detail, flounce hem or fall hue.
4. Basic Button Downs: Tops are a great way to change up your look when dressing for an interview. With a chic black and white tuxedo blouse or printed button down, you can make the most out of your favorite pants or skirt without buying a new head-to-toe look.
5. Perfect Pumps: There’s no need to buy a closet full of shoes for your interview process. Find a pair of perfect pumps that gives you confidence. In the end, that will be your best accessory.